Wednesday

First Entry

I have very little free time working at the Red Rooster Inn, but Wednesday mornings I have time to myself. Today, I am sitting on some large rocks, watching all the activity in the harbor—fishermen making last-minute preparations on their boats and sailors following orders from a barking captain. Lottie and Madeline do not think that hanging around the docks is a very good activity for a proper young lady, but sketching does seem to be acceptable. So I purchased a nice leather-bound journal, and tried my hand at drawing. Unfortunately, art is not one of my strengths. Instead, I have decided that I will write down my thoughts and feelings on these creamy white pages.

I have been working at the inn for more than two months. All that time, I still have not thought of a way to quench the burning thirst for revenge against the British for murdering my family.

The far end of the harbor is empty now because most of the fishing boats just left. But a beautiful three-masted ship has docked, and sailors are scurrying about unloading the ship’s goods. The ship is slightly damaged, and I overheard sailors talking about a skirmish they had with the British. The sailors swagger with pride that they have outrun the British ship. I envy them. At least they are doing something...

~Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment